Saturday, February 12, 2011

Alphabets

Valerie was playing by herself one night, when I suddenly noticed she was putting alphabets on the magnetic board that she got from her birthday. I saw her putting the letter 'A' and she said 'A', then 'N' and she said 'N'. I was shocked beyond words and quickly asked Ivan to come over. Just then she put on the letter 'S' and said 'S'!!

Does this mean Valerie know her alphabets already? Later when my sister came over, I told her the incident and she asked Valerie the same three letters. And she repeated the same. The next day, I pointed to a brochure and asked her what is the letter and she said 'T' and 'O' correctly. I was very thrilled.

Later that week, at Heguru class, she was learning the letter 'N'. I showed the card to her confidently and she said 'N' loudly. Sensei was quite surprised.

Anyway that was about the few incidents that happened. After that she never showed she know the alphabets anymore. And I didn't specifically test her either. Up until last week, while we were out shopping at Jusco, there was plaster tapes on the floor and they were shaped like 'L'. Valerie then pointed to the tapes and said 'L' and then pointed to another 'L'. There was one that looked like a 'T' and she said 'T'. Our hearts leaped a beat, she still remember her alphabets!

And just last week, she suddenly pointed to my shirt and spelled out 'SAVE THE PLANET' one by one... The only letter she didn't seem to know was 'V'.

Sometimes I wonder if Valerie knows the full set of alphabets, or is it because when she sees something, it just come to her mind and she just blurt the letters out? Maybe the memory is stored somewhere and some day the letters flash across her mind and some day, they don't and she doesn't seem to recognise them.

Or maybe she just doesn't like to show her parents that she knows them. Only once in a while she likes to give us suprises? Ahh.. the wonder of how brain works.......

No comments:

Post a Comment