Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Kindy for Valerie?

With the new baby due next March, I was contemplating whether to send Valerie to preschool next year or not. Since she's a year end baby, she would only be 3 years and 2 months, while following the academic year, she should be in the 4 year old class. I thought it would be a better transition for her to start early next year, before the 2nd baby comes along, rather than to juggle with having another sibling and starting school altogether mid of next year.

While still thinking, I've decided to check out Superfun Learners near my area as recommended by my sis-in-law. When we reached, the lady at the reception was very nice and showed us around and explained their curriculum. I have to say the classrooms are filled with many colourful activities sets around which I could imagine keeping Valerie occupied. I was amazed that 4yo class even included Science and Computer labs. Gosh, I'm so outdated. This seems to be a norm nowadays. And she told me they would be teaching English and Mandarin for 4yo. Bahasa would only come in at 5yo as to avoid confusion with Englsh.

Then we were shown their homework. Another shock for mommy. They already learning how to write A,B,C at the age of 4?? And numbers too? And I had in mind, 4yo kindy was more like a playschool, just singing and dancing. One of the teacher later explained it's better to start training the kids' to do writing and colouring, so as to strengthen their fingers. In fact, a lot of their activities set are also to train the kids to have good control of their hands.

After showing us around, she told us the morning class was already full and only afternoon classes are available. I was a bit dumbfounded. I've never known even for a 4 yo kindy, you need to be fast to register, like somewhere in August? And I thought there would be plenty of seats left and was still thinking want to send her to kindy or not. Nevertheless, I put Valerie on waiting list (3rd one from the list) and went home.

Some of my friends told me to check out other alternative like MRC or Q-Dees or Montessori. But I don't know why, I seem to have my mind fixed on Fungates. Simply because my nephew who attended the same kindy told me 'Go to Superfun, it's a really really fun place you know.. '. Well, what could be more convincing than to have a kid himself telling you he really enjoyed his kindy? I just wanted a place for Valerie to take learning as something fun, just like how I've adopted Heguru methods.

I've also met another colleague at the Superfun Open Day and he strongly believes in this system. He told me he sent his first 2 kids to Fungates at Brickfields and it's all about fun learning. He did switch his daughter halfway to another system but later found it was too academic based and too much homework. In fact, parents were scolded for not helping the kids to finish the homework. Then he switched back to Fungates. So I guess this looks like the most 'fun' learning system around.

So, we'll wait.. and hopefully, there may be a spot for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment