Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Constipated Baby @ Week 6

We dreaded the long Merdeka weekend, simply because we knew we have to make Valerie poo either one of the days. On Saturday morning, after 2 days of non bowel movement, we put her on the potty. As usual she tried to wriggle her way out of it, arched her back and cried. We then squeezed some glycerin suppository into her anus and waited. After several minutes, it happened. She was pushing hard and out came the first piece and then the next, and the next. She was crying every now and then and there was blood at the end of it.

Poor daddy couldn't take the last bit and was traumatised. While I was cleaning Valerie up, I asked Ivan to snap a photo of the poo so that we could show it to the doctor. We went to another paedi for a 2nd opinion. This one took the matter more seriously and examined her abdomen. When we showed him the poo photo, he said this was definitely not normal. I asked him what could be the cause, he simply said, no reason and no cure. Some babies are just like that. We just had to deal with it.

He gave us some medication, which I think it's lactulose. Twice a day at 3.5ml as a start. He said to wait for a few days to see the effect. If it doesn't work, we have to up the dosage little by little until it works. If nothing happens still, we have to come back in 2 weeks time.

So I have been feeding her lactulose the last few days. And I also added half teaspoon of prune extract into her porridge. As expected, no bowel movement on Sun and Mon. We were a bit dejected by end of Mon. Sigh.. still nothing happened.

By around midnight, she suddenly let out a cry and woke up from her sleep. Ivan went to pick her up and said something smelled. I took a sniff and I knew immediately she pooed. Whoopi!!! We have never been soooooo overjoyed :D While I carried her, Ivan cleaned her butt and analysed the one piece of poo which came out. Mind you, I found this quite hilarious. Here we were, holding our baby's poo as if it was the most precious thing ever produced by her.

I don't think you could find another set of parents looking forward to baby's poo so much. And I laughed at Ivan, remembering how much he used to object to being near a poo soiled diaper. He would run away at the smell of it. But this time round, he stayed and savoured the stinky, smelly moment. Gosh.. my hubby is a changed man. LOL...

No comments:

Post a Comment