Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Singing Baby

Valerie has suddenly expounded into singing over night! She started singing the entire 'Barney Song', 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' and 'Five Little Ducks' all in one night. Singing along when I'm singing of course, using her limited vocab. Is this due to the Little Einstein cartoons that she's been watching? That's her favourite cartoon and she needs a dose of it every day.

When the Little Einstein starts, she will sit very still and stay glued to the TV. Then she will sing along '5,4,3,2,1' with her hands raised. Then when it's time to 'pat pat', she will put her hands and pat her lap and then raise her hands to say 'Blast Off' at the right timing. Sorry, those who watch this cartoon will know what I'm talking about. :P  So whenever she wants to watch Little Einstein, she will tell me 'Pat pat ahh?', then I will turn it on for her. I think this is a really good cartoon, it teaches classical music, composers, exposes you to world art and most importantly, I think Valerie learns 'timing' from it. She knows when to pat, when to stop and when to follow the actions again by listening to the music.

But come to think of it, Valerie has always been 'singing' since she's two months old. I've always sang her lullabys to go to sleep and after that she has always been 'humming' to sleep. Yes, since two months old! But the humming is sort of tuneless. It's very weird and nanny call it very 'ngam cham' (naggy) when she takes her nap. But I call it 'singing'. :P

That night when I put her to bed, I sang her 'Jesus Love Me Tis I Know' (thinking I could sing her to sleep faster). But guess what, she also wanted to sing along. In the end, she ended up more wide awake than before. Brrhh.... Then on Sunday, during the church service, after we sang a song, we were silent for prayer, then all of a sudden I heard someone humming the tune of the song we just sang. It was Valerie :P (not to exaggerate, she just hum the first two lines laa..)

I've uploaded a video of her singing along 'Five Little Ducks' following her Robin i-pen series.

No comments:

Post a Comment