Monday, November 29, 2010

Flash Cards Works!

Right up to now, I seldom test Valerie on what she knows although I've been showing her tons of flash cards. As described by Shichida method, the flash cards should be done at half a secord per card and at large quantity (at least 200) to activate the right brain.

For us who are left brain dominated, this does not make sense. How could anyone remember anything that is flashed that fast? Let alone a small child? I have to admit, on many occassions I'm tempted to flash the card slowly, pronounce it slowly, and show maybe about 10 objects. And if Valerie could show me she remembers any of these, I'm very happy. 


Nonetheless, I resisted that idea, and continued to show the flash cards at the speed recommended.  According to the Right Brain educators, we are also not advised to test our babies as this will put a  lot of stress on them and thus make them lose interest in learning altogether. So, being an avid follower, I didn't test Valerie. In a way, it's also good because I'm also not stressed, knowing she will learn eventually. And my job is just to provide her the opportunity to learn, as well as to take the time to bond with her.

It was until last week, Valerie digged through her box of books that she found the Baby Einstein flash cards on Animals. She took it out and gave it to me, waiting for me to do something with it. I bought the set long time ago, thinking I would use it to flash animals card to her but then later dropped the idea because they were not A4 size as proposed.

She's more excited than she looked, really... :P
Since Valerie expected some activity out of it, I took out 3 animal cards and asked her which one is 'Elephant'. She looked at the cards and picked the right one. Then I asked her to put in on the headboard. This seemed fun to her. Then I added more cards and she picked the one that I named. Soon there were animal cards all over our headboard.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed because she got about 98% right out of the stack that I've asked. Those she didn't pick correct were because they have not been shown in the flash cards so she didn't recognise them.
So I have to say, flash card works. Flash them fast, flash them in big quantity. Believe it or not, your kid can remember them even if it doesn't make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment