Saturday, November 20, 2010

Valerie Can Count

I couldn't remember since when Valerie could count, probaby about 3-4 months ago. To be honest, she got bored of those dot cards I've been showing her. So I thought of another way to teach her counting, while going up and down the stairs. Everytime we went up or down the stairs, I would count 1, 2, 3... and she soon caught on and tried to recite after me.

I didn't think it was significant until 2 months later, Nanny came up to me excitedly and said.. 'You know, Valerie could count 1-10. You must have taught her that'. Just then I realised, 'Yeah, Valerie could say the numbers in order'. Then I told Nanny that I've been teaching her all the way up to 17 (because there are only 17 steps in our house... hehe... ).

Nanny said, 'Can meh?'. I said 'Why not? Nobody said kids can only remember up to 10. If you teach them more, they will learn more.' I then told her she is taught up to 100s in Heguru, but whether she knows them, I'm not too sure.

The next day, Nanny told me... 'Yeah, I tried more than 10, she could go up to 14... then the rest not very clear'. In fact, Nanny and her kids got so excited that they tried to get her to recite from top, from halfway like from 7.. and she could continue with 8, 9, 10... The only thing they didn't attempt was saying the numbers backwards. :)

Then and again, I wouldn't really say Valerie could count. It's more like reciting the numbers in order. If one day she could tell me '2 balls' or '3 apples', then I think she really understand the meaning of quantity.

No comments:

Post a Comment