Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My Shichida Books arrived!

Woohoo... the Shichida books I ordered from Japan has finally arrived!! I was so excited and relieved that they passed through the custom with no problems. The reason I ordered the books was because I was desperate to find out more about this right brain training.

Personally I believed Shichida is the original right brain training. And then followed by Tweedlewink which improvised it and created it's own range of courses and products. And then you have Heguru, where the selling point is the MD used to be managing Shichida for 14 years and have also improvised it's method based on Shichida. But like most review from mommies in Malaysia, the standard of teachers in Shichida have dropped (I don't know how true is that) and a lot prefer teachers at Heguru. Heguru schools in Japan is said to be so popular that it has exceeded the number of Shichida schools (again not sure how true is that). I chose Heguru mainly because it's 30 mins away from my house and it's the closest method to Shichida. There's a Tweedlewink in Puchong, even nearer but I'm not convinced to pay RM100 to watch DVD in class :P

You see, I've registered Valerie in the waiting list in Shichida when she was 6 months old, and while waiting, I brought her to Musikhaus in Mutiara Damansara to test out if she would adapt well in a class. Something I've learned from mommies forum. Test the child in a cheaper class first and also to train her to sit through a class before sending her to expensive classes like Shichida / Heguru.

But after trying out 6 weeks we were exhausted because of the distance. Puchong to Mutiara Damansara on a Saturday afternoon takes like 1 hr + to get there and another 1 hr to get home. When the total journey time is double of the class time, you know it's far. So we didn't continue with Musikhaus after 6 weeks. And when we get the call from Shichida in January about enrolment, we declined. Wisma Lim Foo Yong in KL or Centrepoint. Both are about the same distance as going to Musikhaus. With all the rushing and jam, we knew we couldn't survive.

That's until we found Heguru at Midvalley. It's 30 mins from home and Ivan could do shopping while I attend the class with Valerie. The combination is just perfect :D Sometimes I would give Ivan a list of things to buy from Jusco during that 1 hr. That's like killing two birds with one stone. hehe...

Ok, I've diverted again. Back to the books. Well, after joining Heguru for a month. I like the classes and the sensei. But I'm concerned that I don't have much information on what is right brain training all about. And there is no workshop for parents to attend and all the books are in Japanese. I don't even know what home training I should be doing. If given a choice, I would prefer to join Shichida instead because I get to attend parents' workshop and they provide worksheets and guidance how to do home training.

I guess I'm the type of person that needs to know everything from top to bottom. Otherwise, there's no point in paying a bomb for a class if you don't know what is going on. I have to understand what each activity is all about and most importantly, how to train the right brain. So after finding out that there are some books by Dr Makoto Shichida in English, I was so excited.

The only problem is you need to email them and then call them up to give your credit card details. So yes, you need to call to Japan. But no big deal, it's a short call. I actually enjoyed listening to them speaking Japanese. They are just so polite and sweet.

I bought 3 books. Since I'm paying the same delivery charges, I thought why not grab all the relevant books. So here is the list:

1. The Shichida Method
2. Children Can Change Through Right Brain Education
3. Right Brain Education in Infancy

I have to say they are really good books if you want to fully understand what right brain training is all about. And I'm glad I got all 3 because they complement each other. The Shichida Method is like a handbook showing you the methods to train a child in right brain. Straight to the point and no nonsense. The 2nd book focuses on how we should raise a child in right brain education like showing a lot love and positive affirmation etc.. The last book may be a bit boring for some, it's more on the theory side of right brain education. Understanding how the right brain works, the principle.. etc.. All 3 books have overlapping testimonials but very inspiring. Basically the books say once the right brain is unleashed, you can do almost anything as long as you put your mind to it.

The only caution I have is finding a balance in between believing in yourself too much and having the dependency in God. Because there is one example quoted where people of one community praying to God for changes and when the changes came through, the author believed it was more of the power of the right brain willing the change to happen rather than God working the miracles.

Other than that, great books to have. Will explain more in the next post.

21 comments:

  1. Hi, just wondering where you order the books from? I have bern googling high n low yet can't seem to find anywhr i can order online. Can you pls share with me? Many thanks. Can u pls email me the link from where u order the books? My email add is jessiechai@inbox.com. tia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interested to get the book too
    Can email the link?
    My email is littleshop2u@gmail.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interested to get the book too.
    Please email the link?
    My email is kimht80@gmail.com
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interested too. Could you email to bncj@hotmail.com
    tks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jezze, thanks for sharing. Im interested too. Can you pls email me the link as well? alice_kok@yahoo.com. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, could u email me the link? agnes_yylau@yahoo.com. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Mummy Jezze, thanks for sharing this info with us, can pls email me the link too?....I'm vy interested to give the best for my little one..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mummie Jezze i'm interesting with the book, could you please email me the link where i can get it.. jo_ey_jj@hotmail.com.. As i'm thinking to send my lil boy to shichida or heguru..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you email anguyetvu@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am interested with the books. Can you pls email me? linglydia22@yahoo.com thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, thanks for ur sharing.. i am interested with the books. Could you please email me the link where i can get it? yanll86@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hye mummy Jezze...am interested with the books too...could u pls email me the link where I can buy it? dayaa_07@yahoo.co.uk...thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://shichida.co.jp/english/c1-3_books.php

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like the company no longer release the 3rd book "Shichida method". I couldn't find this book on their web.

      Delete
  14. Hello, I've been googling for 2 days now on the web about the Shichida method and unfortunately there is nothing available in the UK for mommies about how exactly to do it. I was wondering did you find the books useful for your baby (looking back over the years)? And where did you order the books from ...pretty-please?

    Can you pls share with me. Many thanks. My email is georgiana_ghica@hotmail.com

    God bless you and your family!

    Georgiana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, can you also share the link to purchase the books? Please!!! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. can you send it to my email graciela_ayala@hotmail.com
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi, are you willing to let go of your books? will buy as preloved? pls email erppict@yahoo.com.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, Thanking you for the information. Would it be possible to send me the link of the books to my email. Its chinmayshiva@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Has anyone heard from her?? I need the "The Shichida Method" book as well and cannot find it. Please let me know: faizahmwd@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi I'm Kindergarden teacher from Chile and I want to learn about the system , but is too far for me, I want to get the same books as you, but can't find "The shichida method" one.
    The years has passed and your girls must be happy and big... is there any possibility that you will help me to get it...yours maybe?, if you don't need it.(you can send it to a US address,is simple and safe)
    Please let me know emyemy@live.cl

    ReplyDelete